Friday, January 13, 2012

Peace Month Daily Reader, day 13


January 13 – Peace                              
Cherice Bock                                          

Read: Ephesians 6:10-13

            As many of you know, peace is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. It is also something that, honestly, I struggle with a great deal. My struggle is mainly with my sense of being caught in a lifestyle that feels generally peaceful, while I know that lurking underneath my “peaceful,” relatively easy existence is a great deal of pain, violence and evil. My personal life and relationships are fairly peaceable, but the system in which I live and must participate is not peaceful by any means. Violence occurs against individuals, other nations and the Earth in the way things are grown, harvested and transported to our stores. Injustices abound in the factories that produce our clothing, shoes and electronics. Wars are fought over resources from oil to rubber to diamonds.
            Let's strive for interpersonal peace, but let's not stop there. Let's work together to refuse to cooperate with the principalities and powers of this world. Christ has already overcome them; let's join him.


Queries:
In what ways am I cooperating with the unjust powers of this world?
How is Christ calling me to act otherwise?
What is the first step I will take today?

No comments: