Sunday, January 02, 2011

a mamma again...and "traveling with pomegranates"

First of all, happy new year, everyone!

For those of you who don't know already, we had another baby boy on Dec. 6! I've been a little preoccupied with him lately, and I'm really enjoying remembering how to be a parent of a newborn again. He's making it pretty easy for us, really (as far as newborns go). He sleeps pretty well and he's really laid-back most of the time. And, of course, he's one of the 2 cutest babies every born!

If you want to see pictures, go to our family blog.

Since Christmas I've been working on Sue Monk Kidd & Ann Kidd Taylor's book, "Traveling with Pomegranates." I have about 2 pages left. Sue Monk Kidd has got to be one of my all-time favorite authors. This book she writes with her daughter, and it's truly a beautiful work of literature, chronicling Sue's transition to being an older woman and Ann's transition to being a full-fledged adult, as well as their relationship with each other and the Divine. I love Sue Monk Kidd's other works that are so rich with thoughtfulness, wisdom, and persistence in her faith. She is so inspiring, because when she doubted her faith because she couldn't find herself reflected as an "image of God" in the patriarchal form of "Christianity" in which she was raised, she kept seeking until she found God, a God who imaged herself to Sue in feminine forms with which she could connect and grow. I'm so grateful for women like this, and for her willingness to write about it with such transparency and depth.

It kind of makes me sad I don't have any girls to share this with, but I'm so grateful for my two boys, and the chance I have to raise two male feminists. =) I'm also incredibly grateful for my feminist husband. And for a God who shows up in the ways we need her to.

4 comments:

RantWoman said...

Welcome to the world to the new one and warm best wishes to everyone!

Mary Ellen said...

Congratulations on #2 - and enjoy every moment. Thanks for mentioning the book - I so much enjoyed her first memoir of moving out of traditional religious imagery, so will seek this one out.

Leah said...

Glad to hear this book was good. I love her writing as well. She was very influential to me at a crucial time. I'm also thankful for the ways God "shows up in the ways we need her to," especially surrounding motherhood when we (I) really need her!

Torrance Office Cleaning said...

Good readding this post